rss feed icon      snellville business spotlight      Snellville restaurants      snellville gas prices      snellville ga weather      Snellville Blog Facebook Icon      Snellville Blog Twitter icon

Thursday, November 08, 2007

People at the door

ahermitt, our Lawrenceville Blogger AKA Nosy Neighbor, had this recent post about people coming to the door. She talked about evangelists talking to her 13 year old son while she was in the shower!

How do you feel about strangers coming to your door? I agree with ahermitt, that there was a time when I felt more comfortable opening my door, but now if someone comes to the door that I'm not expecting, I talk to them through the window of my door. I can see and hear them fine, and vice versa, so it may seem overly paranoid, but there's no reason to open the door really.

I will never hire someone to do home repair who comes up to my door. To me, it's too much of a risk. I don't care how good the "deal" is. I prefer to pay full price for a quality job by an insured person or company. The guy always talks a good spin "we just wanted you to know that we'll be doing some work in your neighborhood...." and, "oh no, we're not trying to SELL anything....we're just trying to let you know about our services..."

My standard answer is, I don't buy anything door to door. If you would like to mail me some of your materials, I'll be glad to look it over.

ahermitt's article talks about the door to door evangelists. They can be a pain sometimes, and if you do take a publication, it's kind of like feeding a cat - they'll be at your door again and again.
My aunt was a Jehovah's Witness, so I know the point of view they have - their belief is that, if your neighbor's house was on fire, you would do anything you could to tell them to save them, even if they shut you out. So that is part of the reason they are so insistant, and let's face it - if you are not a Jehovah's Witness, it can be irritating, but once I understood the reasoning, it made it less irritating to me.

If you want to repel visitors from your doorstep, a "Shh...Baby's Sleeping" sign is more effective and kinder than a "No Soliciting" sign, and a No Soliciting sign means nothing to people who are evangelizing. I will probably have my "Shhh...Baby's Sleeping" sign on my door even when my baby is 45 years old!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:51 AM

    I 'fed' the Jehovah Witnesses a couple of years ago. You see they built the Kingdom Hall here in Snellville just down the street from me, and I suddenly found myself immensely curious about them. I've actually enjoyed my talks with them (on my porch), and have taken a sick perverse pleasure in asking them off-the-wall questions about their religion. In the end, they knew they couldn't convert me - I made a huge stink about celebrating Christmas/Holidays/Birthdays - but honestly, I never felt any real pressure from the folks that have come to my house. I realized about a month ago that they must have given up on me, because they haven't stopped by in months. In a way, I miss that little visit.

    I tend to be quite open regarding religion. I don't believe God is going to strike me down for hearing other 'takes' on the best way to worship. I'm secure in my beliefs, so to hear theirs only helps me to understand more.

    I also learned that SO many people have the wrong facts regarding that religion... while it may seem extreme to the typical Christian, if you listen to their views, they make perfectly good sense for them.

    I now have fond memories, correct facts, and the knowledge that someone else is out there praying for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamela, I know what you mean. I like discussing religious stuff too, but it can get me in trouble! It depends who I am having the discussion with - if they can handle the discussion amiably with a view to broadening our horizons and learning, rather than taking offense to anything said. Those can be very good brain stimulating conversations!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on My Snellville Blog. If you liked reading this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to My Snellville Blog to get future posts delivered to your feed reader or inbox.

Comments appear after being checked by me for identity and spam. Please note that comments with HTML or website links will not be published. If you want to share a link with me, please send it to me through the Contact Form. Click the following link if you are interested in Advertising In My Snellville Blog. Thanks!