rss feed icon      snellville business spotlight      Snellville restaurants      snellville gas prices      snellville ga weather      Snellville Blog Facebook Icon      Snellville Blog Twitter icon

Monday, July 14, 2008

200 Residents at City Council Meeting Treated to Free Scolding

I expected the crematorium's plans would be considered a "done deal." Here are a couple snippets from the AJC article for you, and to read the whole thing, see the clickable link at the end of this post. I smell lawsuits regardless.

"Warner said an attorney cautioned him on the loophole, but he never expected one to pop up.

City leaders weren't sure how the crowd would react to the controversy, so extra police were stationed at City Hall.

Mayor Jerry Oberholtzer also took some extra steps to
keep things calm, immediately announcing some ground rules.
"We ask you to maintain some decorum," he told the standing-room only crowd. "It's going to be a long night."

"I ask for no public attacks, no name calling," he said to anyone
who planned to speak. "We do have the press here.
No calling out or shouting. We have some police here."

....

[Councilman][Tod]"Warner said an attorney cautioned him on
the loophole, but he never expected one to pop up.
But he also spread the blame.

"Shame on you," he told the crowd. "You never show up
for the decisions that we have to make until they're in your backyard."

Crematorium a done deal, unhappy neighbors told - AJC

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:20 PM

    I kind of agree with the scolding when it is only in their backyard. People need to pay attention to ensure that elected officials are held accountable. Sadly, staying home to watch American Idol or whatever else is on television is more compelling for many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:54 PM

    I live in the neighborhood where the crematory is located. I am planning on disputing my property taxes based on the fact that my value has now decreased - you have 30 days from the assessment to dispute.

    It is my understanding that once I dispute the value I am entitled to a hearing. Perhaps if everyone in the direct area disputed their values the council would see the amount of revenue made from the crematory will not compensate for the loss of property taxes on the surrounding homes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:54 PM

    I live in the neighborhood where the crematory is located. I am planning on disputing my property taxes based on the fact that my value has now decreased - you have 30 days from the assessment to dispute.

    It is my understanding that once I dispute the value I am entitled to a hearing. Perhaps if everyone in the direct area disputed their values the council would see the amount of revenue made from the crematory will not compensate for the loss of property taxes on the surrounding homes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on My Snellville Blog. If you liked reading this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to My Snellville Blog to get future posts delivered to your feed reader or inbox.

Comments appear after being checked by me for identity and spam. Please note that comments with HTML or website links will not be published. If you want to share a link with me, please send it to me through the Contact Form. Click the following link if you are interested in Advertising In My Snellville Blog. Thanks!