rss feed icon      snellville business spotlight      Snellville restaurants      snellville gas prices      snellville ga weather      Snellville Blog Facebook Icon      Snellville Blog Twitter icon

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Have you seen the worms?

Thanks to Arthur with Terminix, I found out the identity of the worms that are all over my yard in Snellville. They're about as long as a nickel. They are called Armyworms, and...
here's a picture of my very own Armyworms. These had crawled into my garage. I put them on a paper plate and snapped a picture. As you can see, they come in various colors.

If these get into your house or garage, don't step on them. Yes, stepping on them will kill them (YAY! Sorry, PETA) but these worms are full of a neon greenish colored ooze that looks quite a bit like antifreeze. If they have been eating something of a different color, says @gray_hardy on Twitter, like red peppers, they will have that color ooze. You don't want to squish it just yet. Take it outside first. Trust me on this.

I did find a couple good sources for information on these pests. I won't bore everyone with all the information here, but check out these links to learn more.
Arthur from Terminix said that these turn into moths. He also said these are all over Snellville. It's an infestation. Terminix will treat the entire lawn for a fee per square foot. I wasn't planning to pay for extra treatment until I worked out in my yard and saw how many worms there are per square foot. I can imagine my children and the dog tracking the green ooze into the house, and that's reason enough to me to treat this. I haven't treated my yard yet though - I'm waiting to hear back from Terminix.

I use Terminix, so I recommend them. (This is not an ad, and I have not received any compensation from Terminix or anybody else for this blog post. Just sharing this for your convenience, in case you need to get your yard treated).
Request a quote for treatment from Terminix

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:28 PM

    I went on vacation and left a nice green lawn. When I came back just two days later, my lawn was ALL BROWN and FULL FULL FULL of worms. TruGreen said my lawn has the worst infestation they had ever seen. I went to home depot and bought an eco friendly insecticide. It cost $12.00 and treats 5,000 sq ft. TruGreen was going to charge me $66.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little buggers eat non-stop! Thanks for the info! I think Terminix was going to charge 5 cents for every square foot. Sounds cheap, but if I do the math, it's probably too much! Was the product you bought a liquid or in granular form?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on My Snellville Blog. If you liked reading this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to My Snellville Blog to get future posts delivered to your feed reader or inbox.

Comments appear after being checked by me for identity and spam. Please note that comments with HTML or website links will not be published. If you want to share a link with me, please send it to me through the Contact Form. Click the following link if you are interested in Advertising In My Snellville Blog. Thanks!