rss feed icon      snellville business spotlight      Snellville restaurants      snellville gas prices      snellville ga weather      Snellville Blog Facebook Icon      Snellville Blog Twitter icon

Monday, June 21, 2010

Some oppose Briscoe Field expansion

I think it would be great for business travelers to conveniently fly into Gwinnett. Gwinnett is a huge county and does a lot of business. But I know it's easy for me to say it would be great - I don't have to live right next to the airport.

My older brother received his pilot's license at age 16, flew Medevac helicopters in Vietnam, then he worked for the Federal Aviation Administration. Currently, he's the Director of Flight Safety Operations for a major airline. In my opinion, this more than qualifies him as someone whose opinion would matter on this subject. He lives in another state, so he has no financial interest in the privatization/expansion of Briscoe Field.

On a trip down to Savannah with my brother back in February. I told him about Briscoe possibly becoming privatized, and asked him what he thought about it. I said I expected residents there would not be happy about it.

He said that not having an airport because are afraid planes will crash is as ridiculous as not building roads and highways because a car might run off the road.  He also made the point that people have to live near busy highways and train tracks, too. There will be noise. It's just a fact of life. He said the growth and economic boom it would bring to Gwinnett County would be incredible - We would even feel positive effects of it here in Snellville.

Still, I really sympathize with the homeowners in that area of Lawrenceville, and I can understand why they are upset. I guess Gwinnett is having growing pains.

Opposition to Gwinnett airport expansion gathers steam
Atlanta Journal Constitution
By David Wickert Anyone who wants to buy Gwinnett County's Briscoe Field faces some big hurdles: federal regulations, contract negotiations, ...

7 comments:

  1. Average Joe11:53 PM

    "He said the growth and economic boom it would bring to Gwinnett County would be incredible"

    Yes, the area around Hartsfield is positively "booming" - so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a plane in the sky today myself. Where do I complain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living right by the airport, and planes flying over my house all the time, I don't mind the smaller planes at all. However, I would NOT have bought the house if it had a large airport with all number of planes going in and out with all number of sizes. If we compare how the areas around Hartsfield look, oh great! Something to really look forward too!!! I hope to god this doesn't come to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Mayor of Lawrenceville Rex Millsaps and the Lawrenceville City Council have voted against the privatization.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The entire city of Lawrenceville is under the flight path and the noise. Snellville is far enough away not to notice. I propose builing a new airport in Snellville. Would that change your opinion? Be honest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What needs to happen is for the developer(s) to have to buy the homeowners out or rework the flight plan. I'd go for that, and I'd also love to have the 20,000 jobs for Snellville. And that would make me un-electable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:47 PM

    Everyone needs to realize this is not just a Lawrenceville and near the airport issue. 737s will fly over a significant portion of Gwinnett including Buford, Snellville, Lilburn, Duluth, Suwanee, Dacula, and Norcross at low altitudes. Anyone within 10 miles of Briscoe will possibly be affected.

    If an airport is a requirement for success why has Alpharetta prospered without one? I challenge anyone to name one company that has not located in Gwinnett because we don't have a commercial passenger airport.

    www.bettergwinnett.org is a good site to get more information and to join the movement to stop Briscoe expansion.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on My Snellville Blog. If you liked reading this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to My Snellville Blog to get future posts delivered to your feed reader or inbox.

Comments appear after being checked by me for identity and spam. Please note that comments with HTML or website links will not be published. If you want to share a link with me, please send it to me through the Contact Form. Click the following link if you are interested in Advertising In My Snellville Blog. Thanks!