rss feed icon      snellville business spotlight      Snellville restaurants      snellville gas prices      snellville ga weather      Snellville Blog Facebook Icon      Snellville Blog Twitter icon

Monday, October 27, 2008

New Principal of South Gwinnett High School

South Gwinnett High School has a new principal, Clay Hunter. The following was written by Mr. Hunter and comes from The Comet Courier, the South Gwinnett High School Newsletter.

"I am a graduate of Morehouse College and the University of Georgia. I have a passion for social studies and taught a myriad of courses at Milton High School in Alpharetta. I also taught social studies at Norcross High School. I have served as an assistant principal at Meadowcreek High School and McConnell Middle School. Just recently, I served as principal of Susan Stripling Elementary School in Norcross.

In total, this is my thirteenth year in education. When I am not working, I enjoy spending
time with my wife and three children ages 12, 8, and 3. I know South Gwinnett High School to be a great institution of learning. It has a long tradition of producing leaders in the region and the state. Love for this school runs deep. Having had a chance to talk with a number of leaders in the community, I can sense the pride that is associated with being a South Gwinnett Comet.

Over this past weekend, I had the opportunity to interact with a number of students. I have talked with our peer leaders, senior leadership cabinet, band members, football team, and theatre guild. Without a doubt our students are outstanding!

Having had a chance to talk to a number of students, parents, and community members, I have learned more about some of the expectations these stakeholders have for our school. First and foremost, we all want South Gwinnett High School to be a safe, orderly environment in which to learn and work. I am committed to working with students, teachers, and parents to help our students make the right choices in terms of behavior.

Gwinnett County Public Schools’ student management policies and procedures will be adhered to at South Gwinnett High School. It is also a community expectation that all of our students will graduate from high school in four years. We all know how challenging our world is in terms of jobs and the economy. Our students must have a diploma if they are to create and live the American Dream. In addition to a diploma, our students must be prepared to enter and be successful in college and the workforce. Whatever path they choose, they must have the academic knowledge and skills in order to be successful. The wonderful educators at South Gwinnett High School work day in and day out to make that happen. I look forward to working with and supporting them as we implement new and innovative techniques to help all students maximize their potential.

Finally, our community wants to know about the great things that are going on at South Gwinnett. To this end, we will expand our efforts to tell our story… making sure more know about the wonderful achievements of our students and staff. I know that perception can sometimes morph itself into reality.

We need to set the story straight when it comes to the “reality” at South Gwinnett High. The truth is that the majority of our students make the right choices every day, academically and behaviorally. As we move forward, we need to work together and talk about ways for us to help all students make the right choices. In the coming weeks, we will be organizing a meeting so that you can meet me formally. We must begin discussing how to build upon the great things already taking place at South Gwinnett. The challenge of making sure that our students are successful is one that we must all share. I look forward to talking with you in the coming months. Together we can find solutions that will help our students maximize their full potential."

1 comment:

Thanks for leaving a comment on My Snellville Blog. If you liked reading this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to My Snellville Blog to get future posts delivered to your feed reader or inbox.

Comments appear after being checked by me for identity and spam. Please note that comments with HTML or website links will not be published. If you want to share a link with me, please send it to me through the Contact Form. Click the following link if you are interested in Advertising In My Snellville Blog. Thanks!