rss feed icon      snellville business spotlight      Snellville restaurants      snellville gas prices      snellville ga weather      Snellville Blog Facebook Icon      Snellville Blog Twitter icon

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Food fights shut down school cafeteria

This isn't Snellville news, but Lilburn news...however, it relates to Gwinnett County Schools, so I decided to share my thoughts here on this topic.

Berkmar High School in Lilburn is having some challenges keeping students in the mindset for learning. Recently, the principal had to suspend all student's privilege to the cafeteria due to ongoing food fights. I think it's a great idea to shut down the cafeteria so students can learn to appreciate it. Instead of being able to use the cafeteria, the students will eat lunch in their 5th period classrooms. They'll have healthy lunches, but limited choices of what they can eat...and of course, they won't get to sit with their friends.

Unfortunately, the majority of the school population is having to pay for the issues of the few - and those who instigated this are not going to be very popular with the rest of the students. Even when I was in middle school and high school, I thought food fights were dumb.

I'm all for using peer pressure and natural consequences to teach students that disrespectful behavior won't be tolerated in our schools. We don't pay taxes so kids can be unappreciative little jerks. We pay taxes so we can have an educated population.

I only hope that parents of the 'non-trouble' kids won't complain and want this plan revoked. Hey, sorry your kid is affected by this, but please allow school administrators to enforce discipline to help all our children learn about life! Sometimes life isn't fair, and we all are harmed by the 'crimes' of others.

So that's my opinion, and here's the news story. Let me know how you feel about this.

Gwinnett School Suspends Cafeteria Lunches
WSB Atlanta

1 comment:

  1. Forgot to mention, unfortunately teachers have to babysit the kids during 5th period.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on My Snellville Blog. If you liked reading this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to My Snellville Blog to get future posts delivered to your feed reader or inbox.

Comments appear after being checked by me for identity and spam. Please note that comments with HTML or website links will not be published. If you want to share a link with me, please send it to me through the Contact Form. Click the following link if you are interested in Advertising In My Snellville Blog. Thanks!