rss feed icon      snellville business spotlight      Snellville restaurants      snellville gas prices      snellville ga weather      Snellville Blog Facebook Icon      Snellville Blog Twitter icon

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

One Way North Road from Wisteria to Oak

UPDATE September 2009: I actually like what they've done with this street now. I guess I had to get used to it!

It's been this way for a little while now - and if you exit the Snellville Post Office, you are forced to go left.

If you want to get on Wisteria, then you must exit left out of the post office, then turn right onto Oak Road, then sit and stew at the light of Oak Road and Scenic Highway, turn right onto Scenic, then turn right again onto Wisteria.

I used to be able to just turn right out of the Snellville Post Office, then turn right onto Wisteria.

What is the deal with this decision? It seemed sudden. What is this helping? All I can imagine is that it saves the waiting time for the people at the Wisteria/North Road light.

The first day I realized I had to go left, my first thoughts were of the business A Better Sign, which relocated to the North Road location from their old location at 78 and Scenic Highway.

I would guess that a lot of their business customers would go to their P.O. Box at the post office, then exit right out of the post office, and then pull into A Better Sign's parking lot. But the way it is now, potential customers are turned away from A Better Sign - and they better be pretty darned determined to go to A Better Sign and do the circuit all the way around to visit!

I spoke to Jeremy of A Better Sign, and asked him how it has impacted the business. He said it's the slow time of year for their business right now, so they aren't really sure. He said it's "not that bad, nothing devastating - yet," and mentioned that running the circuit to come back around is a hassle sometimes.

Fortunately, the business isn't based on location only. A Better Sign has always treated me well, they make great signs, so I hope it won't hit them very hard.

Why was the decision made? I know the traffic can REALLY pile up on North Road turning left onto Wisteria, but I didn't know there was a need for such a drastic change. I guess what really shocked me was the lack of forewarning also. Don't they usually post signs saying of proposed changes in traffic flow at the location of the change? I don't remember seeing anything, but maybe I just missed it.

I will deal with this change after proper professional counseling, but Hubs is still pretty upset.

4 comments:

  1. Darla,
    I remember reading something about it a few months ago, or maybe it was when Mayor Oberholtzer mentioned it at our Rotary meeting...but I also drive by it daily so I saw the progress. I personally like it as it cuts down on all the 124 traffic cutting through businesses there to avoid the Wisteria traffic (have you seen it at 5:30 - 6:00 any night).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I've seen it every time of day! I have seen the people cutting through the businesses, but aren't they mainly cutting through at La Petite Academy, Duron Paints, and the businesses on the other side of the intersection? They're not cutting through A Better Sign or the Glass Repair shop etc on the Oak Rd/North Rd side...Oh well, I'm a firm believer that everyone should have a blog so they can complain like I do. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on My Snellville Blog. If you liked reading this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to My Snellville Blog to get future posts delivered to your feed reader or inbox.

Comments appear after being checked by me for identity and spam. Please note that comments with HTML or website links will not be published. If you want to share a link with me, please send it to me through the Contact Form. Click the following link if you are interested in Advertising In My Snellville Blog. Thanks!