rss feed icon      snellville business spotlight      Snellville restaurants      snellville gas prices      snellville ga weather      Snellville Blog Facebook Icon      Snellville Blog Twitter icon

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Harry Potter Books will Stay on Gwinnett Public School Shelves

Although I disagree with this mom (I am against censorship and I think if they take Harry Potter off the shelves, they'd have to remove a LOT of other books to be 'fair') , I totally respect her drive to get involved based on her beliefs.

At least she tried to do something about what she thinks is wrong, unlike so many other people who will just complain and not even try to make any changes in the system.


ATLANTA, Georgia (Reuters) -- Harry Potter fans in Gwinnett County, Georgia, can breathe a sigh of relief.

The Georgia department of education Thursday upheld a decision by the county board that would allow the wildly popular series by British author J.K. Rowling to remain in school libraries, Gwinnett school system spokesman Jorge Quintana said.

In October 2005, Laura Mallory, a mother with children at Gwinnett elementary schools, asked a local committee to ban the books about a young wizard, saying they were violent and promoted witchcraft.

The application was denied, so she appealed her case before different local and state officials. "At all levels the decision has been to keep the books on the shelves," Quintana told Reuters.

The state board decided the matter on a technicality, ruling that Gwinnett acted within its legal authority, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Web site.

"I didn't do a good enough legal job because I didn't hire a lawyer," it quoted Mallory as saying. The newspaper said she could file an appeal with the state superior court.

1 comment:

  1. Mallory is terrible! Her drive has cost tax payers a bundle of dough!
    I am against censorship. I am also against driven soccer moms trying to dictate what my kids can and can not read. That money, spent on legal fees could have paid for a hundred other books!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on My Snellville Blog. If you liked reading this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to My Snellville Blog to get future posts delivered to your feed reader or inbox.

Comments appear after being checked by me for identity and spam. Please note that comments with HTML or website links will not be published. If you want to share a link with me, please send it to me through the Contact Form. Click the following link if you are interested in Advertising In My Snellville Blog. Thanks!