rss feed icon      snellville business spotlight      Snellville restaurants      snellville gas prices      snellville ga weather      Snellville Blog Facebook Icon      Snellville Blog Twitter icon

Saturday, September 05, 2009

Movement to changed proposed school name

I know the school system sends out an invitation for people to propose names for new schools, then the list of proposed names is shared. I know this, because I remember browsing the list. So there was time to either propose a name or suggest name changes quite some time ago. I also think if people want to get technical about who/what was there first, the school would need to be called Cherokee school, because they were really here first, right?

I guess all this mess is why in NYC they just number their schools. I've always thought that was really boring: P.S. 20, P.S. 9 and so on. But they don't have to worry about somebody getting their feelings hurt or protesting. In my opinion, that's a very bland way to live.
"Thomas Livsey, whose family has lived in the community south of Snellville for more than 100 years, said he is disappointed the school being built on Ga. Highway 124 near Lee Road has been named Snell Elementary.

Livsey said he thinks the school, which will open in August in the Shiloh cluster, should be named Anderson-Livsey Elementary, after two of the original families of the Promised Land Community, to honor the history of the area.

"If we don't do something about it, (the history) will die, just like we're going to die someday," Livsey said.

Although the school has a Snellville address, it is located in an unincorporated part of Gwinnett County familiarly known as the Promised Land. Named by an Irish immigrant who settled in the area in the early 1800s, black residents began purchasing the property following his death.

"Black people owned more land in this end of the county than in any other part of Gwinnett," Livsey said."
From: Man pledges to lead campaign to rename school
Gwinnett Daily Post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on My Snellville Blog. If you liked reading this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to My Snellville Blog to get future posts delivered to your feed reader or inbox.

Comments appear after being checked by me for identity and spam. Please note that comments with HTML or website links will not be published. If you want to share a link with me, please send it to me through the Contact Form. Click the following link if you are interested in Advertising In My Snellville Blog. Thanks!