rss feed icon      snellville business spotlight      Snellville restaurants      snellville gas prices      snellville ga weather      Snellville Blog Facebook Icon      Snellville Blog Twitter icon

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Stop fooling yourself - it IS about religion

This is not about religion. This is not about prohibition. It’s not about standing in the way of progress. Progress is giving people the right to vote.” ~Attorney Rick Stepp, who represents the handful of Snellville residents who oppose Sunday liquor sales in restaurants on Sundays.
If it's not about religion, then why not move the non-alcohol-pouring day to another day other than Sunday?

(Rubbing chin, thoughtfully) Since he says it's not about religion, then it can be any other day of the week besides Sunday, right? Because banning it on Sunday really looks like it's about religion to me. Why would alcohol serving on any day of the week be banned, if not for religious purposes?

I suggest we pick Friday for alcohol-ban-day. After all, if we banned sale of alcohol in Snellville restaurants on Fridays that would probably prevent a lot more problems like DUI. Seems to me that less people would drink on a Sunday, since they need to be at work on Monday morning.

To me, it's not about drinking. I've already confessed to my 1 cup of white wine on Christmas Day 2009, after which I proceeded to take a nap on the couch. I really don't care for beer or any kind of liquor with my meal. I can go the rest of my life without a drink.

For me the right for alcohol (a legal product, by the way) on Sunday is about liberty, it's about separation of church and state.

Having the church and religion involved in government is only safe for you if the prevailing religion is yours. Someday, it might not be.

That's the kicker.

2 comments:

  1. Well said! It's ALWAYS about one religion or another trying to force their morals onto others. They seem completely incapable of turning their judgmental gaze inward and taking care of their own house. They'd rather walk around with a condescending stare and pass judgement on others telling them what they can and can't do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Shawn, but in defense of the Christians who feel strongly against allowing the Sunday sale of alcohol - their view is that they believe are doing the will of God, which is not always popular or convenient to do. So I have to give folks props for sticking with their beliefs. I just wish I could get other Christians to understand that there can and should be some separation between your religious beliefs and what is good for a community or city as a whole. They don't always completely mesh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on My Snellville Blog. If you liked reading this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to My Snellville Blog to get future posts delivered to your feed reader or inbox.

Comments appear after being checked by me for identity and spam. Please note that comments with HTML or website links will not be published. If you want to share a link with me, please send it to me through the Contact Form. Click the following link if you are interested in Advertising In My Snellville Blog. Thanks!